Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier

Plot

When Meaulnes first arrives at the local school in Sologne, everyone is captivated by his good looks, daring, and charisma. But when he disappears for several days, and returns with tales of a strange party at a mysterious house and a beautiful girl hidden within it, Meaulnes has been changed forever. In his restless search for his Lost Estate and the happiness he found there, Meaulnes, observed by his loyal friend Francois, may risk losing everything he ever had.

---

I really only have one word for this book: Blah. It wasn’t that great of a read. I mean, it had a lot of potential, but I just wasn’t feeling it. I never really felt for any of the characters, so I didn’t really care whether or not any of them found what they were seeking.

I read this book, because it was listed in 501 Must-Read Books. Truth be told, that will be my reason behind about two-thirds of the books on my “To Read” List. Anyway, I cannot for the life of me figure out why Le Grand Meaulnes was classified as a “Must-Read”. Like I said, it wasn’t too spectacular.

Bottom line, read it if you want, but it’s not a book that would pop into my head, if someone were to ask me for a recommendation on their next read.

~Missy

P.S.
If you do decide to read this book, you'll find it under its English title The Lost Estate.

No comments:

Post a Comment